Ang kinabuhi ug mga huna huna nako... My life and my thoughts....

Monday, April 21, 2008

The Japanese Way...

I was reading through Dang's (she is a fellow bisaya and batchmate in JDS Batch 5 Philippines) and I was reminded that its been a year since we left Cebu and made Manila home (the tropical paradise of California Gardens in Mandaluyong was our home).. away from home for our Japanese Language Class or Nihongo Kurasu. The 2 month we stayed in Manila proved to be good practice for us promdis (a slang term and sometimes deregatory term for people "prom di" (from the) province). Though I am personally very proud to be labelled as such.... The short stint in Manila with my erstwhile rommies (Rey, Bong, Jason) proved to a good practice to living in such small quarters. Jason had the opportunity to move to more cozier accomodations so it was only me, rey and bong that were left to actually complete the stay in the tropical garden of california...Living in the tiny room in a building was the first step in knowing the Japanese Way....of course the main reason for our stay in Manila was to learn Japanese (nihongo) for our eventual trip to Japan. The Japanese Class was a very interesting experience. It gave me an opportunity that I had never had before.....that is... to be the DUMB (or bobo in Filipino) student in class. Ever since I could remember I have always been an academically accomplished individual. I was always a top student till I eventually finished my BSCS degree with a "cum laude" distinction. But as luck would have it, in Nihongo class I was the idiot (who kept on flunking the quizzes) and a consistent member of the Mou Ichido (repeat) group. I think I was so bad that I think my sensei's (honorific for title for teachers) were worried on how I would survive in Japan. But as can be seen I have thrived well (sign ang body language helps) inspite my atrocious Japanese. Nevertheless, my being so dumb in Nihongo allowed me to ask DUMB and outrageous (thats how dang described it) questions to my senseis....(I am still thinking if i want to retell my most interesting question i posed in class.....). Fortunately for me, dumb as I was, I was fortunately with classmates who were very supported such as my seatmates Edel and later on Berns.... We had many interesting moments in our class (J kurasu) and it made our journey in learning the "Japanese Way" a fun and happy (tanoshi?) experience.

1 comment:

Sephrenia & Aphrael said...

one of the outrageous and joke of all time that i remembered was when u asked masu sensei if hakimasu would be the same verb in japanese to describe the action when wearing the condom, similar to wearing pants or your shoes since the rule is waist down, you use hakimasu..that was really funny and even funnier was the shocked look on masu's face..and of course, the term "toire e kwikimasu" that you coined..right rik, i think nobody could beat you in those offhand questions and comments.