Ang kinabuhi ug mga huna huna nako... My life and my thoughts....

Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Shocking Price of Durian and Buko in Shinjuku


D0-ri-ya-n...thats what the kana on Japanese fruit stand said....or durian to the rest of the world...the amazingly smelly fruit but whose flavor quite a few people enjoy. This fruit I have always just taken for granted as I am not really one of its fans though I do love those durian candies... hehehe... anyway what amazed me was the cost. Yes folks the sign says 4000 Yen for 1 durian! Thats like 1600 Pesos or around $40/fruit. So far its one of the most expensive fruits here... (so does it make it a status symbol if you are seen eating it?). The other fruit? nut? that was in the same stand and was also pricey was the lowly coconut. At 600 Yen per piece that is pricey indeed. Thats around 240 Pesos or about $6/coconut. Whereas in Cebu you see coconuts just lying around...no wonder Japanese tourists are willing to pay 100 pesos per buko at Plantation Bay ..... it is still a lot cheaper than here in Japan... I''ll have to wait till I go back to Cebu for my dose of buko juice...


No comments: